Trying to run the Mjpro131 -- Can not open disk

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by WeiTang, May 5, 2017.

1. Hi,

Thanks for reading this post.

I am using MacOS Sierra, 10.12.4.
    I've been struggling on this bug for a long time. I've got the license for a free try and put it into the bin file.

When I was trying to run the ./stimulate in the terminal, it told me that Can not open disk.

Could anybody else tell me what's going wrong with Mjpro131?

Many Thanks for any kind answers!
    Have a nice day~
    Wei

Attached Files:

2. I'm seeing the same issue, also on MacOS Sierra, 10.12.4.

3. Hope someone could answer this issue!

4. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

MuJoCo 1.40 and earlier do not support NVMe disks, which is what the newer Macs have (nothing to do with Sierra it turns out). This has been fixed in MuJoCo 1.50

5. Emo is it possible to get more information for what the bug was and how it was fixed?

Is there any way to work around this (e.g. putting mujoco files on a virtual filesystem, etc)?

6. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

The license manager before 1.50 looks for a regular disk (to obtain a serial number), and gives up when it doesn't find one. NVMe disks have a different protocol for reading their info from the OS, which is now supported in 1.50. Since the manager reads the info about the system disk, installing MuJoCo on another disk will not solve the problem unfortunately.

The ideal solution is for OpenAI to update their Python wrapper to 1.50. Alternatively, one can install a Linux virtual machine under macOS and run MuJoCo there. Rendering will be slower, but compute time will probably be similar (haven't tested this, however native Windows vs. VMware Linux on the same machine show similar compute times).